Interview with Topalov

Veselin Topalov and his manager Silvio Danailov arrived yesterday at Sofia airport. They were glad to share some thoughts on the WCC 2006. Veselin was met by a crowd of journalists and fans. He gladly answered some questions. The resulting interview was published on the inofficial Topalov web site, www.veselintopalov.net.

Question: Veselin, how do you feel?
Topalov: I am happy to be in Bulgaria again. I would like to thank all the people that supported me. I am sorry I could not achieve more.

Are you sorry that the match took place in Russia?

No, Elista is a great place with very nice people. The organization was perfect. The problems that occured could have occured at any other place.

How did the match go?

I was dominating the game, but Kramnik was defending well and used his chances.

Did you expect a tie break?

No, I thought I would win the match in the regular games. I had not prepared for a tie break at all.

Why did all the games start with a Slav?

That was my strategy. I always had advantage in the opening. We had many ideas and were creating serious problems for Kramnik in the beginning of the games.

Did you feel that Kramnik is more experienced in such type of matches?

I would not say so. The rules are not much different than any other type of tournament.

Tell us more about toiletgate?

I do not think this issue is closed. I do not want to take part of the scandal, though. This is the job of my manager and I do not know all the details. Of course, that was something very strange that the team Kramnik could not explain.

Did Kramnik’s going to the toilet disturb your concentration?

No, I was calm. I would not say I have problems with nervousness in general.

Do the rules give you a chance for a rematch with Vladimir Kramnik?

These are things decided by FIDE. As far as I know, there will be changes in the regulations soon.

Will they let you play in Mexico 2007?

To be honest, I do not know.

There are rumors that you received money to lose the title.

Of course I received money. But this was money according to the contract and I was going to receive the same amount no matter if I had lost or won. The way I fought in every game does not leave place for doubts.

Silvio Danailov summarized the past WCC on the way out of the airport. “We were under a lot of pressure, the hosts made everything to win the title. Expect a whole book on the events in Elista where the scandal with the toilet will be explained in details.”

Source: Chessbase

Comments

Popular Posts